Tuesday, February 22, 2005

 

Shield Bill Introduced

A shield law has been introduced at the Texas Legislature. In an earlier post I noted that the head of the Texas Press Association was worried that the bill might cover bloggers:
"...but she said it's broad definition of the term 'journalist' poses a slippery slope because it could extend protections to bloggers."

The bill was introduced in the Senate as SB604. I am no expert but the definition given in the bill of what a journalist is should cover bloggers:
"Journalist" means a person, or an employee, independent contractor, or agent of that person, engaged in the business of gathering, compiling, writing, editing, photographing, recording, or processing information for dissemination by any news medium.

I guess the big question is whether or not a blog can be considered a "news medium." Personally I think the answer to that question is yes, but like I said I am no expert. SAEN Watch may not be the biggest blog on the block, but I am proud of how intelligent my readers are. So dear readers, what do you think?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives